Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Different kind of reno - the renovation of me

Hi all

I've been absent from the blogging world for a while, and for a very good reason. For years I've been complaining about my weight and general well being and, unfortunately, like so many others, I expected a silver bullet or a magic potion to help me get rid of that problem.

So after some serious soul searching I decided to try Michelle Bridges's 12 Week Body Transformation program http://www.12wbt.com/. You know her - the seriously tough trainer from the Biggest Loser.

It is nearly week 6 of the program and I am over the moon. It is the best present I could have given myself. I've lost 5 kg which is half way to my goal weight for this round. You may wonder why I hadn't spoken about this sooner. The truth is I had doubts about the program and about my own willingness to stick to it.

I have to admit that in the past I was a bit snobbish when people told me they were on a diet or joined the Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. Yes, some truly lost weight, but many put it back on as soon as they were off the program. Despite hearing great things about the 12wbt, I still believed it was a fad. I was still sceptical even after I joined and the doubts didn't leave me until week 2 of the program.

But on the cusp of week 6, I humbly and happily admit that I was wrong. Big time. Beside eating cleanly and exercising like a mad woman (I power-walked 7km on Sunday - I am still in awe of myself for doing that), I have gained confidence, become better organised (there's lots of cooking, scheduling exercise, work, family, renovation,etc) and have adopted a new perspective - life is no longer a glass half empty, it is a glass half full.

My biggest challenge was to resist "the call of the sweet fang". I didn't have a sweet tooth, seriously it was a fang! The first two weeks were hell - I had withdrawal symptoms - and endless morning teas and "muffin meetings" at work were a huge challenge. But, I'm happy to say that the monster is safely caged now. No, not caged - that implies that it might escape. The monster is gone - it has been defeated!

None of this would have been easy without Michelle's guidance and a well designed program. But what is truly unique is the way the participants have organised themselves. My biggest inspiration and motivation to keep at it is the brilliant 12wbt Perth Crew, a bunch of women (and one and half guys) who cheer and support each other, exercise together, party together, kick butts when kicking is required. There are some truly inspirational people in the group who also blog about their experiences - these are from two awesome ladies from the Perth crew http://byclops77.blogspot.com/ and http://nolongeranemotionaleater.blogspot.com/.

I'm sorry for such a long post, but I simply wanted to share this with the world. OK, all 11 of my wonderful followers, and I already hear you cheering me on. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Maja xx

5 comments:

  1. Awwwwww Maja....you made me cry!!!!!!! Aside from calling me awesome and mentioning my blog...I so remember the reluctance in the early days to tell anyone about the 12wbt and hesitancy I had, not really knowing if I would be successful or not! I'm so glad to be helping you along on your journey in whatever small way I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have to admit that in the past I was a bit snobbish when people told me they were on a diet or joined the Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig ..."

    I totally agree here. It came down to one thing for me: I was eating too much (and moving too little, but the eating was my bigger problem), and I was in denial. I wanted to believe these things were for other people.

    Good luck for the rest of the 12 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Maja. An inspiring read. Yes I was cheering you on as I read. It takes a certain place or mind space to get motivated and take the plunge and we all have times when we arent feeling that motivation. Im off to read the links - thanks for the tips. Keep up the great attitude.
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you Maja. What you have achieved is fantastic. It is very hard to commit to a lifestyle change and you seem to be doing it very well. I am cheering you on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend on this challenge.She has been with Michelle for a while now and has lost 68 kilos! Unbelievable...Her husband is taking her to Paris next month for her 50th birthday to celebrate her life changes..Keep strong and well done..xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails